Your teeth are made to last a lifetime, but in the case of severe decay or damage, often teeth need to be removed. Fortunately, with new dental technology and findings, there are ways, depending on the situation, when all decay can be removed and the natural tooth can be saved. At Affordable Dental Care, we offer root canal therapy in Tumwater, and all of our Washington locations.
When root canal therapy is needed it is often because the soft tissue in the pulp of the tooth or the center of the tooth has been infected. A tooth’s blood vessels and nerves are located in the pulp so when decay reaches this area it causes serious pain.
Root Canal Process
When needing root canal therapy, your dentist will work closely with you to describe the process of the procedure and to decide if that is what is best for you. The main function of root canal therapy is to remove all damage and decay while salvaging your natural tooth.
Generally, when a root canal is necessary it means that the infection or decay has spread throughout the whole pulp which has also infected the nerves. Therefore removing the decay includes removing the nerve from the tooth completely.
Depending on how much of the visible portion needs to be removed, a dental crown might be suggested as a way to keep your teeth functioning properly. Although it is not required, it is suggested to restore the tooth to its natural appearance.
Most Root Canals Occur if you have:
- A cracked or chipped tooth. Depending on the severity of the crack, it can create an opening for decay to enter into the tooth’s pulp. If you have cracked or chipped a tooth it is very important to get it fixed quickly to prevent decay from reaching the pulp.
- A deep cavity or filling. This could create the need for a root canal. In some instances when removing a cavity and getting a filling, some decay isn’t always removed. In this case, if decay spreads, root canal therapy will be needed.
Signs you may need Root Canal Therapy
- When applying pressure there is severe pain and aching
- Discoloration of the tooth due to severe decay within the tooth
- Swelling and tenderness in the gums surrounding the aching tooth or other surrounding teeth
- Intense sensitivity to cold and hot temperatures
If you or someone in your family is showing any signs that they could need a root canal in Tumwater it is best to come to visit us at Affordable Dental Care to receive a consultation. We want to help you keep your teeth healthy and in your mouth as long as possible. If you’re in the Bellevue, Olympia, Burien, Covington, or Tumwater areas please give us a call!